Monday, April 28, 2008

SOVEREIGNTY & GREATNESS

by Bryan Thomas Schmidt, M.A.

1st Timothy 6:15-6 (NLT) …The blessed and only Almighty God, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He alone can never die, and He lives in light so brilliant that no human can approach Him. No one has ever seen Him, nor ever will. To Him be honor and power forever. Amen.

The Scriptures are filled with passages which attempt to find words that can describe God’s greatness. Somehow every one feels incomplete. That’s because human beings don’t have the words or the wisdom to begin to describe God in all His sovereign fullness and glory. Throughout the pages of the Scriptures, however, another image of God appears – the image of a God whose greatness comes in a surprising way. Ultimately, it is not God’s sovereignty or power which defines His greatness. It is His great love.

The New Concise Webster’s Dictionary defines sovereign as “a king or queen.” It describes greatness as “very large, important.” What’s more important – God’s power or the fact that someone so powerful really loves you and me? As you go through the week ahead, take the time to appreciate God’s love and concern for you. Take time to get to know the God whose greatest desire is not to control or manipulate you, but to enrich your life with His power for joy and peace. That’s a God worth knowing better.

Can you feel God’s love for you today? The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 40:17, “As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord is thinking about me right now.” How does it make you feel to know God is thinking about you today? What are your needs? What areas of your life need God’s enriching today?

PRAYER: Father God, thank you for your love. Thank you for the knowledge that even in your greatness, you still think about me. Father, I know I will never find words to tell you what your love means to me. Thank you that I don’t have to. Fill my heart with your joy and peace today, and enrich me with your love. I love you, Lord. Amen.

© 2008 Bryan Thomas Schmidt/Anchored Music Ministries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. International Copyright Secured. No reproduction without written permission.

No comments: