Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Blessed Be Your Name

Daily Reading: "Then Job stood up, tore his robe and shaved his head. He fell to the ground and worshiped, saying: 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will leave this life. The LORD gives and the LORD takes away, Praise the name of the LORD." -- Job 1:20-21

Job is one of those books I just don't read that often. For one thing, it's kind of depressing -- the story of a man who is stripped of everything he hold dear. His friends tempt him to curse God, to turn from his faith, but Job remains faithful. At the beginning of the story, his entire family, servants, and livestock are all wiped out. That's just the beginning. Yet Job surrenders and worships.

As I go through my own life, seasons of discord and struggle, I get discouraged. I want to give up. Until I'm reminded of the story of Job. Compared to what Job went through, my struggles seem like nothing. They seem like even less when compared to what Christ bore on the cross for me. Yet my first instinct in such times doesn't tend to be worship. Worship seems against my nature, yet worship is what I was made to do, and in such times, worship is the response God most desires from us.

As I face uncertainties today, going through another period of questioning and trial, I have made an effort to echo the words of Job: "You give and take away. Praise be the name of the Lord." How will you deal with times of darkness and uncertainty in your own life? Will you bow in worship or will you stand and scream out in anger? Which pleases God more? He is still sovereign. He is still in control. And He still loves us more than we can ever imagine.

PRAYER: Lord, help me change my instincts to worship first in all of life. Help me to praise you even when I feel dismayed, knowing that I can trust in your faithfulness and love. Amen.

No comments: