Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Following The Plan

Daily Reading: "For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD, "plans for your welfare, not to destroy you, but to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture, and yet sometimes it is also one of the most overused. But just this past Sunday, a member of my worship team was headed off to college and I was asked to give her a word of scripture/advice. I couldn't think of a more appropriate passage.

The time a young person first heads off, away from home for the first time, is an incredible time of discovery. So many new experiences, so many expectations, and so many changes all come together. And so, knowing this, and remembering my own experiences, I wanted to tell my friend this and remind her that the only way to come through well would be to make sure she walked with God every moment of every day. I reminded her that her expectations are good but God's expectations for her are far superior than anything she can dream up for herself. Therefore, as she takes each step, to place it in God's hands, is the best thing she can do. That way, when she arrives at the destination and finds it different than her expectations, she still knows she's arrived where she's supposed to because she's in God's will and he led her there.

So often when our expectations are not met, our tendency is to blame God, instead of thanking Him. It's ironic that we know He is omnipotent and omniscient and therefore far more capable of making a great future for us than we are ourselves capable of, yet when we don't get what we expected, God gets the blame. I know God has great surprises in store for my friend, and rather than see her disappointed, what I hope happens is that by committing her plans and thoughts to the Lord, she will instead come through praising. For God's plans for her are so much better than hers, and they are meant to create a hopeful, joyful future, overcoming sinfulness and a fallen world. I can't think of a better future for anyone, can you?

As we walk, let's commit our expectations and plans to the One who is always faithful and will never let us down, when we trust in Him. And we can rest assured we will always end up where we're supposed to be, in a far better place than our limited human perspectives could ever imagine.

PRAYER: Father, I commit my hopes, my dreams, and my plans to you. Please help me to walk where you would have me, and not be distracted by own stubborn will and limited expectations. Take my life and let it be yours. Amen.

No comments: