Friday, June 26, 2009

FAITHFUL ABANDON

Okay. this is a repeat. But this was the first devotional I submitted for publication and it was finally accepted for THE UPPER ROOM January-February 2010 issue, so I wanted to share it again.

FAITHFUL ABANDON

Suggested Reading: Exodus 33

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: “Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to his tent.” Ex. 33:10 NIV

The music swelled as hands clapped to the beat. The Holy Spirit was filling our hearts as our voices cried out in praise. Suddenly, the little boy in front of us, maybe four years old, began clapping as well, as crumbs from his cookies flew all around us. His mother reacted, embarrassed, but my heart was filled with wonder. Do I still drop everything at a moment’s notice to worship the Lord? Do I practice my faith with such abandon? Have I forgotten how?

I remembered the days when Israel traveled the desert. Whenever a pillar of cloud appeared outside the Tabernacle, they would drop everything where they were and worship. They lived recognizing God’s presence daily. Their journey was long and hard, over many years, and with time, their devotion wavered as questions arose. Soon, they weren’t as ready to worship with total abandon.

Through my own daily struggles and difficulties, I too forget that my highest purpose is to worship God. It is the main purpose for which I was made. When I worship Him, I am connecting with my heavenly Father in a special fellowship that renews and refreshes me for what lies ahead. In such moments, I feel His presence, I delight in Him, and He delights in me. After seeing a boy’s worship, I am praying that God would give me the sense of abandonment I need to worship Him in every moment. Ultimately, a lifestyle of worship is the greatest testimony I can offer.

PRAYER: Lord, help me live with worshipful abandon in every moment. Amen.

No comments: